from fat to thin

Friday 2 September 2011

Temples of God and Dust Bunnies

'Know ye not that ye are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.' (1 Corinthians 3:16-17)

Now i have been to a temple of God and it was beautiful, it is beautiful. There was no dust on the counters, no cobwebs in the corners and no dust bunnies under the chairs. All was perfect.

But the Apostle Paul is not talking about a building here, he is talking about our bodies, my body. He is asking me do i know that my body is a temple for a precious spirit of God? Gratefully i do know, unfortunately i also know that my body does have dust on the counters, cobwebs in the corners and dust bunnies under the chairs. These are in the form of grey streaks in my hair and laughter lines on my face and a figure which isn't as trim as it used to be.

When i visit the temple i walk reverently, if i need to speak i do so in whispers to allow the spirit which dwells there to enter my spirit and my earthly body so i can feel God's love for me. 

But do i show the same appreciation for the body He has given me? I may not be able to change the laughter lines and may not want to change the streaks in my hair but i could really do with clearing out a few of the dust bunnies. 

Life is full of opportunities and i know i should be use wisdom to make my choices for with every choice there comes a consequence, either for good or for bad. I know i should chose those that help me to show reverence for myself, through what i eat, the exercise i do and the amount and type of rest and sleep i take every day. My body is a temple of God and in it rests all His wisdom but i have to make the choice to use it. The Apostle Paul goes on to say 'Let no man decieve you ...' (vs18).

No comments:

Post a Comment