from fat to thin

Sunday 26 June 2011

You are invited to supper ...


As I have already said this is an invitation to supper. The Last Supper with my friend Jesus and he’s also invited some of his friends too. 

There is, now let me see if I can remember, oh yes, Simon, who is also known as Peter, James, the elder, John, Andrew, fishermen by trade, Philip, Bartholomew, also known as Nathaniel, Thomas, a bit of a doubter, Mathew, a collector of taxes no less, James the younger, Judas the son of James, Simon the Zealot, and Judas Iscariot.  Now what’s in that purse he is carrying and where did he disappear to earlier and he’s also looking a little shifty, if you ask me, that is. 13 of then, so say that’s unlucky!



So why are they gathering, it’s the Passover of cause. I time to remember the forefathers and take time to celebrate. So there they all are gathered in the biggest upper room that we have, never seen it so full. There is a feeling that something is about to happen, a lot of talking between each other. I heard one say ‘is it I?’ I don’t know what he’s done but he seems to think he’s done it. 



Jesus, who appears to be their leader as asked for a bowl of water and towels to wash the others feet. I always thought it was the other way around. One protested, Simon Peter it was; ‘...Lord, dost thou wash my feet? Jesus answered and said unto him, what I do thou knowest not now, but those shalt know hereafter. Peter said unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, this hast no part with me. Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord not my feet only, but also my hands and my head. Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and are clean but not all.’ (John 13:6-10) He also warned Simon Peter that before the cock crows thrice he will deny Him, Simon shook his head and said nothing.



Then the man Jesus did this strange thing with the wine and the leaven bread. First he took the bread and prayed over it and stated that the Apostle should eat of it in remembrance of his body and then he shared it out and they all had some. Then he blessed a cup of wine and told them all to share it as a remembrance of his blood which would be shed for them. All except that Judas Iscariot who I saw slip out the side door; I think he thought he had gone unnoticed. But Jesus knew that Judas was up to no good. (Matt 22:15-20)



You are invited to join the sacrament of the Lord Jesus Christ in remembrance of the sacrifice He freely gave today and every day. ‘Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.’ We are his friends. Will we be like Simon Peter and deny him or Thomas and doubt his mercy and his love or even as Judas Iscariot and betray him?



No comments:

Post a Comment