from fat to thin

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Differing from the Norm ...

Just read a post by Leo Babauta - http://zenhabits.net/norms/  about what is seen as 'the norm'. I agree that there are some behaviours that we would all find unacceptable but there are somethings that we do individually that make us different from 'the norm' in a positive way i hope.

Here a few of mine:


1. I'm a Christian and more then that, i'm a Latter-day Saint Christian. The Lord calls us a peculiar people. There are a few instances of it in the Bible but i like the way Peter says it best -

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:" (1 Peter 2:9)

Do people around me see me as peculiar unto Christ and his ways? It's a question i ask myself often and know that i could be more Christ-like in my ways, my thoughts and my speech. But i'm here to learn and i am forever learning. But we are a chosen generation and i know that God has called us out of darkness unto light and that now it's up to us.

2. I don't have a television, i don't want a television. I am often asked what is that i do if i dont have a television. At the moment i have a jigsaw spread out across the kitchen table. Makes eating dinner different but i sit and place piece next to piece and others, like my daughter and my friend comes and sits and chats and do the same. Or sometimes there is just silence and peace.



3. I teach Sunday school to adults. To me it seems normal but to the world it doesnt. The question i am often asked is 'isn't Sunday school for children?' No! We are all here to learn. Knowledge is one of the few things we can take with us when we die.



4. I dont drive and i dont wish to learn and i dont have a car. I think the public transport could be more reliable, and cheaper and there are still places you can't get to if you dont have a car - annoying.

5. I like to keep the Sabbath day Holy. Basically, to me it means; if it doesn't bring me closer to God should i be doing it? There are times when i do things i shouldn't be doing on a Sunday but i know that it's a conscious decisions and not one that influenced by society. 



Am i a peculiar person? I think you will find that my children would say so.

No comments:

Post a Comment